I am feeling like a make-cakes-woman, really I can crank out three cakes per week. The reason is simple: Andrea loves it, my partner Filippo can bring it at work for lunch easily, it’s a good way to eat vegetables and it needs less than 10 minutes of preparation time.
When I come back with Andrea from the nursery in the afternoon, I want to stay with him and do something together, I don’t want to stay in the kitchen with him around and Leonardo crying for something… And actually I don’t do! I love play for some time before dinner, Andrea speaks only a few words however I like asking him what he did during the day and if he had good time. This is the time when usually I have also to breastfeed Leonardo, so having a dinner ready has become a must for me.
This comforting, creamy cougettes pie uses ready-made pastry for a quick and easy mid-week meal. You will need:
- a “Jus-rol”shortcrust sheet (I find it at Tesco)
- 2 courgettes
- 120 ml double cream
- 150 gr cheddar
- 8 little slices of honey roasted ham
- 2 eggs
PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 45 min 180°
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C
- Top and tail each courgette, wash them in cold water and dry well. There is no need to peel or deseed them. Slice across the courgettes (no need to slice thin). I use microwave oven to cook (I have a pan for it, easy to steam courgette in 5 minutes)
- Place the courgettes in a bowl with 2 eggs, cheddar, a pinch of salt and double cream. Stir.
- Lay the pastry and use the fork to hole the base.
- Add ham to cover the base and then fill with the mix.
- Oven for 45 min and let the pie stand.
If chilled and covered, this dish can be made up to 2 days ahead.
- If kept in a freezer-proof container, this pie freezes well uncooked.